• Announcements

• Talon

Greyforums Mascot ❤️   11/05/2017

I am proud to announce that the beautiful African grey, shown next to Greyforums on our home page is our beloved Sukei!  Our guardian angel KevinD has saved our grey family so that we may continue to share in the bond we have with our finds. This honor is well deserved, and I am thrilled to have Sukei as our Official Greyforums Mascot!  ♥️
katana600

Gilbert is home

Oh gosh, so much has happened and really... nothing at all.  Since I couldn't be alone with our grandson for a trip we had promised so our kids could go on their first vacation, David flew to Houston, fetched the little beast and brought him to our house for ten days.  I kid about him being a beast, he is adorable, but on his feet, into mischief and all boy.  David O was just over eighteen months when he got here.  He was a wild little beast.  I moved Gil and Java to the stacked "breeder" style cage so Gilbert was out of reach of little fingers.  David O ran from the kitchen up to the cage and smacked it so hard Gil fell off her perch.  Then I heard a word our three year old neighbor called my husband when he was home last year and bothered our daily fun.  I was in the dining room when I heard the commotion  and then I heard Gilbert say "Butt HOLE!"   We said nothing.  The baby was surprised enough he didn't fuss with the cage again and hopefully he did not pick up Gilbert's language.  I'm half way through recovery and in theory I should expect to be able to use my arm again next month.  I have had a few setbacks, a couple of seizures and falls so I am proceeding slowly.  I do all my physical therapy stretches and weight training and sometimes it takes me all day.  I don't have the same brain power, I feel like I used to have 24 cylinders and now I have only one.  Hubby says this is the optimal time for him to challenge me to a game of Scrabble but he is afraid I might win and he would be humiliated.  I miss my mind a little.  Hopefully we can reduce the seizure meds at the next visit.  But all in all, things are looking up from last month.  My family is gathering here at our house for Thanksgiving and my son in law has offered to do all the cooking.  I trust him and it will be fun.

• Like 2

I had hoped the seizures and the falls were behind you, as I am sure you did, also.  I'm glad you have someone to do Thanksgiving cooking.  And children CAN be monsters!

• Like 2

We have our grandkids a lot, which is a blessing, but also a lot of work!  An 18 month old especially... Glad you are past the half way point and can get the meds reduced.  God bless.

• Like 2

We have a master on the main, so we moved Gil's cage in there. She is quite annoyed by us watching television after her 8:30 bedtime.  At least when the little one arrives in four days, she, Java and the dogs will have a safe haven with a door that locks.  She only has a week to deal with different time schedules.  Thanks for the tips and hints.  I will try them.  I really think the Keppra is giving me brain freeze.  At least I am chill about anything that comes my way.  Last week, I was having so much trouble at PT, my doctor ordered an MRI for a potential tear in the rotator cuff or the muscles she reattached to my collarbone.  She also ordered a neck x-ray and wondered why one hasn't been done sooner.  A little chunk of bone was pulled off a vertebra by a ligament.  She said there is nothing they can do about it and it will eventually tether with scar tissue and may take months and months and will hurt until that time.  So.  I feel a little validated about complaining about my neck.  She pointed out that my first cervical vertebra failed to do something prior to birth.  I think she said failure to segment.  She said that is associated with neurological defects so once I am back on my feet, I will check into it.  Again I feel validated because I have mentioned to 7 different neurologists since 2002 that when I lift my arms and turn my head, or turn my head to the right for an extended period of time that is when I have seizures. They have each given me a wave of dismissal.  It is just the position I was in for about six minutes waiting for a traffic light and for David to take a right turn when the first injury happened in July.  In all this recovery and discovery, I have come to appreciate Miss Gilbert even more than ever.  She has the funniest, crankiest disposition of anyone since the cartoon Maxine.  When David works from home he has to go outside because she hears his voice and screams for help and says "Nooooo" and they are becoming more certain that it's me shouting rather than the parrot. 

• Like 3

Wow, it's taken 15 years for someone to figure that out?  Sure shakes your faith in our medical system! Timber gets annoyed when I stay up later than he wants too.  If I dawdle too long, he starts picking up food with his foot and flinging it. It took me awhile to figure out what that meant, being the super-slow humanoid I am, but I finally got it!

• Like 2

Yes, so much for western medicine!!!  And so much for doctors paying attention to patients!!! >:(   What do "they" propose to do about it, anything?  Oh, if you just didn't hurt so much and if you could get off the drugs!  I am so very sorry.  Hopefully you feel good enough to enjoy Thanksgiving and hopefully Miss G will do well also.

Edited by kittykittykitty
  • Like 1

Western medicine is mainly pill pushing from big pharma.    It took me a while but I found an internal medicine physician that I use as my main doctor that is NOT a pill pusher.  Example: I had an abscess above a failed root canal several years ago that required some serious antibiotics to kill what was going on above that tooth when the dentist pulled it out.  Several weeks post tooth-extraction I was curled up in bed with the worst pain I've  had in a long time.   My internal med doc said she has seen this with those types of antibiotics and put me on a month of probiotics to get my gut flora back in order.   She's good.

• Like 2

Turmeric root is an excellent pain killer for a painful tooth, just apply a little bit to the tooth. May help if this ever happens again.

• Like 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.