Brat Birds

New Rugs

Hi everyone.  I am starting to look for new wall to wall carpet for my living room.  In the past I have heard that some new carpet gives off chemicals that harm or kill our parrots.  Also I read that if you unroll the carpet for a few days that the chemicals will air out of the rug.  Problem there - how do you know if the store really unrolls it or not?   Does anyone have any recommendations?  

• Like 3

Same here - the city was very lucky I didn't set my carpet on fire after I pulled that nasty stuff out of our house.  Even without birds, I'd never go back to carpet, we're just not clean enough.  Nobody wants to take their dang shoes off.

• Like 3

Carpet is dirty and it off gases for a long time if it is made with synthetic material .  Organic cotton is safe as are other natural fibers.  Most wool is NOT cruelty free and can be expensive  but is nearly perfect for rugs. Check it out on line.  Are you willing to think area rugs instead of carpet?    (I have carpet but wish I had tile and rugs instead.)

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.  I would consider area rugs but at age 70 I don't think they would be safe.  I also worry about slipping on tile or wood.  Never easy!

• Like 2

This topic just came up this morning on one of my FB groups.  Some lady lost two of her birds due to new carpet in the house.  Please be careful!!!   I never knew that carpet was lethal...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am 90. Even with carpet I fractured my left femur last year. Throw rugs are out  especially in the bathroom and halls.   Area rugs would need to be anchored.  But PLEASE for your health AND that of your birds use only safe, safe, safe floor coverings.

• Like 3

Almost all tile here with animals and heavy floor traffic it is the only sensible solution for us. We did put a Bamboo runner in the bathroom for stepping onto out of the tub and shower.  I suppose if you are set on carpet you could insist they lay it out in your yard before installing? You can get both tile and wood with nonslip texture.

• Like 3

On 12/5/2017 at 11:39 AM, SRSeedBurners said:

This topic just came up this morning on one of my FB groups.  Some lady lost two of her birds due to new carpet in the house.  Please be careful!!!   I never knew that carpet was lethal...

I had no idea..

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Wow I didn't know this. Something to bear in mind as I have carpets upstairs and in the hall that I want to replace at some point.

• Like 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.