Jump to content
TimnehAGLove

Strange Posture...And Very Concened.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello All,

I am new here with a 16 year old Female Timneh Grey.

We rescued her a month ago, and have seen some recent new behavior.

Everywhere she sits she fades out or melts or hunches or slouches over after 
a few mins on a perch or your shoulder or your finger or anywhere she sits.   
She basically is sitting on her tummy with her feet pulled under her and not upright.
Sometimes she hunches so far over her head is lower than her tail.

On her perch when she tries to sleep she "melts" forward and then wakes up and catches
herself. Sometimes she sleeps with her head turned back in her feathers like normal and
and she is fine that way.

We look her to the Vet, she did an exam and took a blood test and did a yearly check-up 
and they said that she had a bacterial yeast infection and gave 
me an anti fungal and a pain killer to give her. The vet said that she also may have hurt 
her foot.

This was 2 weeks ago, and things have not gotten better.

Her balance is terrible, and sometimes she falls off her perch.

We moved her into a smaller cage where she is sleeping at night,
so that she cannot fall down too far off her perch, and we put a pillow
under the perch in her night cage and a towel under her large cage 
that she is in during the day.

Here is a video of her in her day cage : https://streamable.com/2z57k

She is eating fine and her poop is fine...She is talking, playing, climbing, taking a bath and acting fine otherwise.

I am really stumped and concerned that something is terribly wrong with her.

We have a follow up Vet appointment on Friday.

Has anyone ever seen this type of posture / behavior?

I have attached some photos of her in her smaller night cage.  I also have a video I can upload in a little bit that is her in her
larger day cage. When I took these photos there were no perches for her to stand on.

Just added a couple of pictures of her slouching on her perch in her large day cage.

 

20180924_113647.jpg

20180924_113642.jpg

20180923_205537.jpg

20180923_205523.jpg

20180924_113649.jpg

Dlouching.jpg

Dlouching.jpg

S2.jpg

Edited by TimnehAGLove
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you take her to another vet for a second opinion? The fact that she's no better idicates that her previous treatment plan hasn't worked.
Fungus is a bear to get rid of, so if she has a fungal infection, she'll need long term medication.
She looks like she's feeling badly. My vote is for a second opinion. Do you have a board certified avian vet in your area?

Please let us know how she does.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Greytness said, make sure you are seeing an avian vet. One comment I'd make is you might want to go to flat perches rather than round. Perching low like that can rub their keel and even split it with time. My TAG has a seizure disorder and a neurological condition, and that's the first thing the avian vet told me to do, get him off round perches.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of us are vets so can only advise what we would do in that situation.

This does seem like very strange behaviour and not something which I have witnessed with my own bird.

I would pester the vet again and if I wasn't happy with the treatment plan I would find a second avian vet for a second opinion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Greytness said:

Could you take her to another vet for a second opinion? The fact that she's no better idicates that her previous treatment plan hasn't worked.
Fungus is a bear to get rid of, so if she has a fungal infection, she'll need long term medication.
She looks like she's feeling badly. My vote is for a second opinion. Do you have a board certified avian vet in your area?

Please let us know how she does.

Thank you so much! Yes we have a follow up on  Friday will keep you  updated.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Timbersmom said:

As Greytness said, make sure you are seeing an avian vet. One comment I'd make is you might want to go to flat perches rather than round. Perching low like that can rub their keel and even split it with time. My TAG has a seizure disorder and a neurological condition, and that's the first thing the avian vet told me to do, get him off round perches.

Yes we are. Our vet is very capable.  We got her some flat perches today :), tthank you!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, neoow said:

None of us are vets so can only advise what we would do in that situation.

This does seem like very strange behaviour and not something which I have witnessed with my own bird.

I would pester the vet again and if I wasn't happy with the treatment plan I would find a second avian vet for a second opinion.

Yes totally understand that. She spent 1hr this morning in the sun before it got really hot and she came back inside a  new girl :) full of  energy and even swinging upside down on her stand...she has never done that before!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not being a Vet it does sound like a vitamin D deficiency. We have a Congo Grey that arrived having balance and seizure issues, she was low on both Calcium and Vitamin D. No seizures any more and now she only falls occasionally when playing too hard with her toys.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greywings said:

Not being a Vet it does sound like a vitamin D deficiency. We have a Congo Grey that arrived having balance and seizure issues, she was low on both Calcium and Vitamin D. No seizures any more and now she only falls occasionally when playing too hard with her toys.

Greywings, how did you treat it?   I was going to suggest more sun but some people can't do that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well,  its 3 days later...She has spent an hour outside everyday...and she is like a new girl once again :)!  We are going to continue to keep giving her time outside daily and we are going to get her a UVB light as well! Do any of you use them...If so which do you use? Thank you for all your help and support :) She has her follow up vet appointment today...

Sunlight Seems CRITICAL...To these guys and gals !  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunlight is critical.   It's the reason I built an outdoor aviary for them.     Lots of people use the one by Zoomed.   Just make sure it's an avian full spectrum light and not a general reptile light.   I have also seen where people have ruined their birds eyes even with the avian light by allow exposure to close.   Sunlight is best if you can do it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sunlight isn't possible for us but I do the full spectrum avian light every day. It is important. Sure glad to hear she is better! :)

Edited by Timbersmom
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Timbersmom said:

Sunlight isn't possible for us but I do the full spectrum avian light every day. It is important. Sure glad to hear she is better! :)

Thank you so much!  Which light set-up do you use please? Thank you so much!  She keeps making good progress :)!

Edited by TimnehAGLove
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Greytness said:

Wonderful! Would love to see another picture of her looking great again!

Thanks! I will post some shortly.  Anyone else use Full Spectrum Lights?  If so what brands please?   Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of the best light setups I've seen:

http://www.arcadia-bird.com/e27-compact-lighting-unit/

 

Lots of people use the ZooMed I mentioned earlier but the stand it comes with is tall and susceptible to getting knocked around.  Our's lastest barely a month before the light was hanging out of the unit from getting bounced around.   

That arcadia site has other options available too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SRSeedBurners said:

This is one of the best light setups I've seen:

http://www.arcadia-bird.com/e27-compact-lighting-unit/

 

Lots of people use the ZooMed I mentioned earlier but the stand it comes with is tall and susceptible to getting knocked around.  Our's lastest barely a month before the light was hanging out of the unit from getting bounced around.   

That arcadia site has other options available too.

Thanks!  Looking for a supplier for this http://www.arcadia-bird.com/e27-compact-lighting-unit/ in the USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Timbersmom said:

Yes, I have seen these around.  They look nice.!  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok...received the light today with a broken bulb, and the USA Distributor did not want to replace the bulb as he said he has had nothing but but issues with broken bulbs in these. I have emailed the company directly and waiting to hear back from them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh that's unfortunate. Hopefully you manage to get it sorted and they send a replacement bulb!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you paid with a credit card for the broken one.   I'd resolve it through them.  They always referee in favor of the buyer if you have any evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×