Adding a female congo with my 2 yr old male

Can I please ask 4 input on what the best age to do this is 4 breeding? Will I lose all of ziggy's love? He's 2 1/2 now. How long Should the female be kept apart at 1st if I start with a baby? Should she be fully tamed 1st? I do know a long time breeder that could guide me along.

• Like 1

The long time breeder you know could probably answer your questions better than the current forum participants. As far as I know, we don't have any current participants who are breeders.

Two things that come to mind though, as I understand it, greys are particular about their mates. Simply getting another grey may not produce a pair. SRseedburners has a male and female and as far as I know they have not decided to be a "pair." So no guarantees there.

The second is that everyone I have seen talk about it says that once a two greys do become a pair, they lose interest in their humans and focus only on each other. That takes them from being companion birds to being a mated pair so I think your relationship would change.

I'm no expert though, just passing along what I have read.

• Thanks 1

I also agree with everything said above. My breeder told me the younger that 2 greys r put together the better the chance. And there is never a  guarantee. He has a pair that just started breeding after 8 years together. Greys r my passion, so I'd like to help keep the breed going now that they're endangered. I was a documentary how they r caught on glue traps ect....in Africa and I was in tears. I had Malucan cocatoo that I tube fed, putting a tube down into it's crop, (I'm a nurse) weaned 3 greys by syringe an many other birds throughout the years. I adore this breed the most and want to do my little part of help to keep the breed going. Ty 4 ur input.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why do feel the need to breed?  Lots of unwanted african greys needing a home already.  Would love for all parrots to have excellent homes before more are brought into this world.  Just me, I guess.  :(

• Like 1

That is a great question. I want to breed because they r already endangered, and we know what happens in time after this. I adore this breed and cried while watching how they're catching them on glue traps in africa. And 4 the joy of watching more being born coming into the world. 

• Like 1

Endangered?  Interesting.  LOTS of african greys in captivity.  New argument for me.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LNCAG if u ask any pet store, they will confirm this. However, u few who responded to me have put the thought of adoption in me. I wouldn't think that there would b that many needing homes. This is something I'm going to look into. Here in south Florida, greys prices just jumped from $3500. To $4700. This grey was at Golden cockatoo where they can confirm the endangered. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nini said:

Where are the greys for adoption?

I would try looking to see if there are any rescue organizations near you that adopt out. Usually they ask that you volunteer to be around the birds for a certain amount of time first before they allow you take a bird home because they want to make sure you and the bird are a good fit. Another option is people post on Craigslist as well but these might be harder birds to work with because they most likely have a lot of baggage with them. We adopted our CAG from a lady who put her up on Craigslist and we are still working on a lot of things but we love her to death!

• Like 1