Lost 4 tail feathers in one day

neoow

Alfie lost four tail feathers over the course of the day - he was in his secondary/working from home cage in the office with me all day and I found them at the bottom when I went to take him out.

It's unusual for him to drop this many tail feathers in one day- though I have noticed he has a few new ones growing out.

I've checked them over and they don't appear to be damaged- there's no blood- they look like they have just fallen out naturally.

I'm undoubtedly just worrying over nothing- he has had a stressful week with his beak (will post about that separately as it's a long story) but is it fair to say these look like they have just moulted out instead of being yanked out?

20210824_204028.thumb.jpg.1330f3515d38ad83de011779bbfceee4.jpg

• Like 2

He's got some new ones on the way! They're just a bit short at the moment! 😂

I was just surprised that he dropped so many in one day from his tail. I was fairly certain they had fallen out but then I doubted myself because it has been a stressful week for him with his beak saga. 

I was quite sad to see the one with the grey stripe had fallen out- I liked that one as he hasn't had one with that much grey on it before. I keep the larger feathers in a big far, so made sure to put that one front and centre. 😄

• Like 2

Yes I think so- although he never seems to have a 'big' moult- it seems to just be a continuous process where he loses a feather here and there throughout the year.

Either way- he's fine and I think I was just super stressed after the beak issues so worried over nothing. 😂

• Like 1