Potty Training & Biting

Hmlew

Hi! New here and glad to have a place to go to for info since we're first time bird owners. Lulu is 5 months old and doing well. She's currently trying to talk, exploring the house and knows how to step up. Our only problem right now is that she's pooping wherever she feels like and we're constantly having to clean up after her. Does anyone know of a way to potty train her? Also, she doesn't care for one of our daughters and tries to bite her every time she tries to pick her up, even after she gives her a snack. How do we keep her from biting or do Greys just not prefer some people? 

Thanks a bunch! 

PXL_20211014_005459195.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

• Like 2

Hello and welcome! I have nothing to say about potty training, since my bird is about 15 years old and still goes where he wants. However, in my experience, greys usually have a "favored" person (which may change over time). As for others, they do seem to have definite preferences and dislikes. Even so, they will usually develop some sort of relationship with everyone in the household they have regular exposure to. If your daughter keeps working on it and builds trust, their relationship will probably improve with time. The short answer is, yes they do have definite preferences and likes and dislikes with individuals.

• Thanks 1

So cute! I'm not sure about the potty training part. I always have paper below my birds so that when they give that 'ready to poop' look I hold them over the paper to go. 

Greys definitely do have their favorite people. She's still pretty young, so my advice is to have your daughter not try to hold her for now, but to spend time near her cage talking softly and singing to her, and giving her treats through the bar. 

And welcome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never really heard of anyone being successful with potty training.  Their natural instinct is to go wherever.   Mine will even try to sneak one knowing that if I sense the wiggle I'll come a little unglued and she flies off.  She still tries to sneak one out on me.

• Like 1

All mine would go on demand with me saying "Be a good bird."  I truly regretted that training and stopped saying it. 

Usually you can tell when your parrot needs to go (subtle little signs they give) and you can just position them over some paper. 

Accidents: It's not the worst cleanup ever -- in fact, over carpet (forgive me) but you can let it dry and then scrape the end of the vacuum pipe over the carpet-stuck-poop to lift it and voila!  (it's the same trick for cat hair balls).  Dry IS easier.  Please -- no hate!  lol

• Like 1

I can't give much advice about potty training as I've never tried it. I have read that some people have had difficulties where their bird will try and hold it in until given the command to go though, which can be bad for them. However it's easy enough to clean up. You can put paper under playstands etc to catch most of it.

They do tend to have their favourites and will interact with people in different ways. If she is biting your daughter then I would get her to take a step back for a while. Get her to read stories to him and interact from a distance for a short while. You could also try introducing some training and get your daughter to provide the best/favourite rewards. Target training is probably the easiest one to start with- where the bird touches the end of a stick on command and gets a reward for it. (It has to be a gentle touch, not a bite). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...